Muffins aren’t exactly the picture of health. With boatloads of added sugar, saturated fat, carbs, carbs, and more carbs, they should be the last thing on your list if you’re looking for a healthy way start to your day. These muffins defy that with just five ingredients (!), healthy fats, and no refined sugar. The original recipe comes from Elana’s Pantry, one of my go-to sites for GFDF recipes, and is based on ratios. The recipe is delicious as-is, but I’ve included a few add-in variations below if you want to mix things up.
Note: This recipe makes four muffins only, which is perfect if you’re cooking for yourself – but decidedly less perfect if you’re bringing them to brunch with your girlfriends.
This recipe is:
– Refined sugar-free
• 1 cup almond meal
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 large eggs
• 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
• 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 4 muffin tins with papers.
2. Mix together almond meal and baking soda in a small bowl.
3. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, sweetener, and cider vinegar.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing to combine. Pour the batter into the lined tins and bake for 15 minutes, until the top turns golden brown.
• Replace all or part of the sweetener with pure maple syrup
• Add in 1 tsp pure vanilla extract to the wet ingredients
• Add 1 tsp cinnamon to the dry ingredients