Granola is one of those “health foods” that’s usually really not all that healthy. Laden with unhealthy carbs and low-quality refined oil, the kind you find at the grocery store is probably better suited for the junk food aisle than your gym bag. So how do you satisfy a craving for the crunchy, convenient snack in a way that won’t backfire on your belt size? You clean it up!
This version uses the addition of a clean, vegan plant-based protein powder to balance out the carbs, while spices intensify the flavor with minimal sugar. However, If you prefer your granola a little more sweet you can try adding in more honey. It’s also really easy to customize this recipe by swapping out different nuts and spices.
This recipe is:
• Refined sugar-free
Gluten-Free Cinnamon Pecan Protein Granola
• 3 cups gluten-free rolled oats
• 1 tablespoon cinnamon
• 1/2 cup toasted pecans
• 1/2 cup high-quality vanilla plant-based protein powder (I use PlantFusion Vanilla Bean!)
• 1/3 cup coconut water (apple or white grape juice would work as well)
• 1/4-1/2 cup honey (depending on desired level of sweetness)
• 2 tablespoons unrefined virgin coconut oil
• 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/4 cup golden raisins (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a large (like, the biggest one you’ve got) baking sheet with parchment or a Silpat.
2. Place oats, pecans, and cinnamon a large bowl.
3. In a sauce pan over medium heat, whisk protein powder, honey, coconut water and oil, vanilla, and salt until smooth. The mixture should be thick.
4. Carefully pour over oats, stirring until evenly coated. Spread on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake for 45-50 minutes until granola is dry, stirring a few times in between. Remove from the oven and let cool, then stir in the raisins. I gave mine another sprinkle of cinnamon as well.
Store in the cupboard in mason jars or package in individual baggies for a portion-controlled snack. Enjoy on its own or for breakfast with a splash of your favorite dairy-free milk. What’s your favorite way to eat granola?