I have a confession. I love zucchini. I could eat zucchini all the time, in some shape or form, at every meal. Here’s the catch though: it has to be organic. The flavor of organic zucchini is so far superior to non-organic that to me it’s not even comparable. I actually used to hate zucchini as a kid unless it was covered in cheese! Talk about a complete 180. In this simple recipe, fresh zucchini gets turned into a delicious “pasta” covered in a creamy Italian flavored sauce with just a handful of ingredients.
This recipe can be enjoyed completely raw as a refreshing main or side dish, but for those who prefer their “pasta” to be warm feel free to give the noodles a boiling water bath. I would refrain from actually cooking the noodles as zucchini tends to get soggy easily when it’s this spiraled this thin. In case you’re wondering, the spiralizer I use is from Paderno World Cuisine and I highly recommend it. It makes everything so easy and so tasty!
This recipe is:
Zucchini Pasta with Creamy Avocado Sauce (serves 4-6)
- meat of 1 medium avocado
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, melted
- 3-5 medium cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried organo
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- 4 medium zucchini, spiralized
1. Combine all ingredients except zucchini in your food processor. Add more olive oil if needed. The resulting texture should be a medium consistency, more liquid than guacamole, but not as liquid as spaghetti sauce.
2. If “cooking” your zucchini: Place spiralized zucchini a large bowl. Set a pot or kettle of water on the stove and bring to a boil over high heat. You’ll need enough to cover the zucchini. Remove pot or kettle from heat once boiling and let stand for 2 minutes. Carefully pour over your zucchini and immediately transfer the zucchini to a strainer. Let stand for 5 minutes. Be sure to strain completely and soak up any excess moisture.
3. Toss zucchini pasta with sauce and serve. Top with salt and pepper as desired.