Eggplants, or aubergines, are wonderful to look at (that color!) and even more wonderful to eat. They’re high in fiber and vitamin B1 and have a unique texture and taste. They also bounce! My mom always used to tell me that when her she was a child her mother would bring eggplants home from the store and she and her sister would bounce them on the floor once she left the room. Little mischief makers! While fun, bouncing an eggplant will cause it to bruise so try to restrain yourself. Full disclosure though: I have tested it out with just a two-inch drop. Still entertaining ;-) Anyway, on to the recipe… but first a few pictures!
Perfectly seasoned and cooked until tender, these simple eggplant steaks are a versatile addition to your weekly dinner rotation. Eat them alone, with a side of pasta (gluten-free or veggie), or as a beefless burger stack (recipe coming soon!)
This recipe is:
Simple Seasoned Eggplant Steaks
- 1 medium eggplant sliced 1/2″ thick
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons powdered garlic
- sea salt and black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Place eggplant slices on an oiled baking sheet. Brush each side of the eggplant slices with olive oil and season with garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook for 15-20 minutes until tender and slightly browned.