I’ve always been a tuna kid. Tuna melts, tuna sandwiches, tuna helper – I had it all and ate it all. But since going gluten- and dairy-free, I’ve had to rethink the way I eat tuna. In this fast and fresh recipe I replaced the mayo with hummus, nixing the bread and cheese for a bed of vitamin-rich spinach topped with cherry tomatoes and fresh salsa. Cucumber slices cool things off and make for easy dipping. All in all, this recipe takes about 5 minutes to prepare and serves two people. Cheap, healthy, and easy. Who says eating well has to be hard?
This recipe is:
• Gluten-free (check your hummus!)
• Refined sugar-free
Zesty Tuna and Spinach Salad
• 1 can solid white albacore tuna in water
• 2 tablespoons spicy hummus
• 1 cup baby spinach
• 1/2 small cucumber, sliced
• handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
• fresh salsa
1. In a small bowl, combine tuna and hummus. Mix well.
2. Place half a cup of spinach in a bowl and top with half of the tuna mixture. Serve with cucumber slices, tomatoes, and a heaping spoonful of salsa. Repeat with the rest of the spinach and tuna in a second bowl. Serve and enjoy.
edit: This post is part of The Nourishing Gourmet’s Pennywise Platter Thursdays!